The story of the original Uncle Bill’s Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating is a classic tale. It’s a small business that has been around for over 50 years and is trying to stay competitive amidst changing industry dynamics thanks to big corporations like Home Depot.
Uncle Bill’s Hillcrest had a unique branding challenge because they had sold the rights to their business name to another plumbing company who opened an office under the name “Hillcrest Plumbing and Heating” just down the street. They became a direct competitor competing for the same market share. The ‘other’ Hillcrest was in a more prime location and was investing in digital marketing to ensure high local and organic Google rankings.
To make matters worse, the original Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating had a disastrous experience with a prior marketing agency.
In 2014, the client was in a mess of a situation, prior to engaging with us. They did not have access to its own website data. They had no tracking mechanisms in place to measure the churn of its digital assets. Plus, they were being outranked and outplayed by their competitors.
The campaign for the original Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating had the following objectives:
One of the main focuses of the campaign was that when people searched for plumbers in Vancouver or specifically for Hillcrest Plumbing, our client wanted to have the original Uncle Bill’s Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating outrank the ‘new’ Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating.The campaign for the original Hillcrest Plumbing & Heating had the following objectives:
A tracking plan was implemented within the first week of the campaign start date with administrative access shared with the client. Within 6 months, we had them ranked in the 2nd or 3rd position for a variety of keywords profitable to their business in a highly competitive market.
From April 2015 to June 2015, we continued to help them rank higher organically in Google search results, especially for geographically specific searches. Higher rankings for relevant keywords resulted in an increase in quantity and quality of traffic resulting in a noticeable increase in leads.
From July 2015 onwards, they started getting a significant spike in phone calls month over month. Their phone calls had increased by 365 percent from July 2015 to October 2015, going from 113 to 525 in that span.
In Phase 1 of the campaign, we secured complete control of the website, its hosting service and the data analytics which were all shared with the client. We had to begin by disassociating their website from all the bad links that they had earned because of the black hat SEO tactics that their previous agency had employed.
In Phase 2, we started cleaning up their Name, Address and Phone Number (NAP) inconsistencies (of which there were plenty) on online business directories. We also created website content, secured quality inbound links, re-arranged their site architecture and followed a range of other ethical SEO practices to have them regain their authority in search engines.
In Phase 3, we implemented call tracking to track calls from internet users and we measured calls from direct traffic, organic traffic and paid search traffic. We complemented the inbound campaign with a highly targeted AdWords campaign with a CPC as low as $4.75 per click and a CTR of 16.77%.
July – 113
Aug – 286
September – 475
October 2015 – 525 total calls (364.6% increase from July)