Client Story: Keating Dental Arts
Keating Dental Arts is a California based, family-run dental laboratory. They deliver 100% American-made products to dental clients in North America. They are established as a boutique lab with quality products and personalized service.
In 2017 it was time for a change. They had been growing 1-2% annually, and the lab’s owner, Shaun Keating, had higher ambitions. He wanted to compete with the biggest dental labs in America. Digital marketing was required to achieve this growth.
They had an in-house sales and marketing team, a contractor managing the website and an online marketing agency.
However, no one knew that their website had been hacked, and was redirecting traffic as a result.
1. Secure The Website
In order to hack their business growth goals, we first had to secure the website. A trojan had published information on their website about ‘Adidas EZ shoes’ available online, along with 100’s of spammy links. Our first order of business was to remove all mentions of the Adidas shoes and disavow links.
2. Understanding Their Business: Growth Hacking
Once the website had been recovered, we started by understanding their business goals, and identifying their strengths and pain-points.
Business goal – Growth, focused on new accounts acquisition.
- Growing credibility within the dental community
- High quality products with in-house manufacturing
- Good customer service and client communication
- Content supporting dental professionals: podcasts, articles, videos, and events
- Disjointed and unorganized marketing department with no overall marketing plan
- Lack of understanding regarding the digital marketing ecosystem
- Lack of communication between sales and marketing
What We Did
Employing The Marketing Cavalry
The key to success for this campaign was to target the right audience, keep them engaged with the Keating brand, and reinforce messages about how Keating Dental Arts adds value to their practice.
One of the advantages was that they had an active sub-brand called ‘Dental Up’ to support dentists. This content-rich platform shared inspirational and educational information on topics like dental marketing, management, technology, and finances. It included a mix of podcasts, blog articles, and events.
We decided to leverage content in Dental Up to attract website traffic, engage users, and demonstrate how Keating Dental Arts is more than a manufacturer, but rather, a key partner, committed to helping it’s clients and the dental community.
1. Attract Website Traffic From America
With a mix of search engine optimization (SEO) tactics and paid advertising (PPC) campaigns, we helped increase organic search traffic and paid traffic from America to key pages on their website like the homepage, product pages, and new customers page.
2. Engage Users With Dental Up
By promoting Dental Up content on their website, Google partner networks and Facebook audiences, we were able to increase the attention and engagement of the Dental Up content, especially the weekly podcasts.
3. Drive Conversions With Lead Form Submissions
By applying user experience (UX) and conversion rate optimization (CRO) best practices, along with advertising offers and promotions, we improved the quantity and quality of incoming leads.
Quantitative Results And Qualitative Contributions
Within Keating Dental Arts, we were communicating with the owner, the IT team, the HR department, and the members of their sales and marketing team. With so many stakeholders, priorities can get confusing, and managing expectations can get chaotic.
One of our greatest contributions in this campaign was to act as a catalyst that helped bring relative order to the confusion and chaos with a great deal of organization, and constant communication.
An example of this was ‘continuity’. In the 3 years that we worked with them, we saw their marketing team change 3 times over with personnel changes. Despite all these changes, plans and initiatives did not get interrupted because of the process-oriented approach that we helped establish and the continued support that we were able to provide.
- Almost 750 online leads were qualified and generated for their sales team
- An average of approx ~35 new accounts were added each month
- Business grew at an average of 4-5% a year after they started working with us as compared to 1-2% before they started working with us
- We achieved greater synergy between offline and online marketing initiatives and their overall marketing plan was better defined and coordinated
- Communication between the sales and marketing team was improved which helped to better understand things like quality of leads, leads to sales conversion rates, and optimize various workflows
- Tracking was improved to understand the real return on investment of different initiatives
Reflection: Glancing At The Rear View Mirror
The Keating Dental Arts marketing campaign has been one of the most unique campaigns that we have managed for a number of reasons.
- It is among the fewer business-to-business (B2B) campaigns that we have worked on.
- It has involved communicating with various different members of the corporate team in different capacities, including HR, IT, Sales, and Marketing.
- It has been a campaign that has thoroughly tested our technical skills and creative talents.